[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: New York Times article

> I read the piece. I was puzzled why anyone thought that security holes in
> NFS were anything new.
> > The front page of today's New York Times focuses on (alleged) recently
> > discovered security flaws inherent in the structure of the Web that could
> > potentially delay the take-off of electronic commerce.

Part of the problem is that the media don't usually have the "big picture"
on security, so they focus on single "holes" rather than the general
problem of armor-plating swiss cheese ;) It's rather like the attention
given to the Michealangelo virus which ignored a few dozen other common
viruses and hundreds of others waiting in the wings.

I wonder if some people don't take issues seriously until an exploit
script is made public.

I'm on a list on internet marketing, and more than once someone has
tried to claim that sniffers could be neglected as a risk because no one has
been caught stealing credit card numbers with them.

Did the article mention any other issues like ITAR, the need for better
key distribution/certification, or the recent questions about SSL, etc. ?

--
    Albert Lunde                      Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu